Monday, January 24, 2011

I love to read. For as long as I can remember, reading has been my drug of choice. One of the few things that can kill my buzz is errors. Maybe it's just my type A personality, but for some reason things like typos seem to jump off a page and scream my name. When my daughter was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, I turned into a stay at home Mom. There have been times through the years (she's nine now), that a book has helped to keep me sane. So when I received an e-reader for Christmas I was thrilled. When I discovered the world of Indie authors, I was doubly so. The wheels started turning in my brain, and here I am.

I am NOT a professional editor. What I am is an avid reader with an eye for detail. I am NOT proofreading to make a million. I am doing it because it seemed like the ideal way to combine my love of books with a source of income. The advantage to you is that I can afford to be budget friendly. Because I don't have a life...well..all right, so maybe I have a bit of a life, but it's somewhat limited by giving breathing treatments 4x daily..where was I? Oh yes, because I don't have a life, I can spend a good portion of my time proofreading your book in a timely manner.

So what can I do? I work in word or from a print copy, and will point out typos, doubled words, overused words/phrases, and obvious inconsistancies. I'll also let you know about anything else that jumps out at me, if something stops the flow, or seems awkwardly phrased.

So how much would you expect to pay for this service? Only four easy payments of $39.95.. (did I mention said 9 yr old is an infomercial junkie?) Seriously though, my rate is $1.00/1,000 words. Yes, that equals out to $50.00/50,000 words, $100.00/100,000 words. I accept payment through paypal, and charge 50% up front, with the remainder due after the job is complete.

How long will it take? Unless I suddenly receive a plethora of things to proofread, you can expect turnaround within a week for an "average" length book, IE 50,000 words. I will always keep you updated, and will respond to any communication from you within 24 hrs.

Why should I trust someone with so little experience? Because I am an unknown quantity, so to speak, I would be happy to proof your first chapter free. If you're happy with it, we can go from there, and if not, no harm done.


No comments:

Post a Comment